To know about all things Digitisation and Innovation read our blogs here.
Microsoft’s Bing & Edge Upgraded with ChatGPT for Advanced Search & Language
SID Global Solutions
8 February 2023
Satya Nadella, Chairman and CEO, Microsoft announced that, today, they’re launching Bing and Edge powered by AI copilot and chat, to help the users of Bing to achieve more benefits from search and the web.
Microsoft has integrated OpenAI’s GPT-3 language model into Bing as a part of their search engine services. This integration is expected to improve the natural language processing capabilities of Bing and enhance its ability to answer user questions more accurately and efficiently.
A brand-new, AI-powered Bing search engine and Edge browser are now in preview and promise to give better search, more thorough results, a new chat experience, and the capacity to create content. These resources are conceptualized as an AI copilot for the web.
Microsoft has admitted that, there are 10 billion search queries a day, but they estimate half of them go unanswered. As per Microsoft, this happens when people are searching for those things that are not meant to be searched and search engines are not designed that way to do things. But with the evolution of ChatGPT integrated with Bing can lower this number and can provide maximum answers to the user’s queries.
This is where artificial intelligence and machine learning come into play. With these technologies, search engines can start to understand the context behind a search query and provide more relevant and accurate answers. This not only improves the search experience for users, but it also helps businesses by providing them with better insights into what their customers are searching for.
One example of this is voice-activated assistants like Siri, Alexa, and Google Assistant. These virtual assistants are designed to understand natural language and provide answers to complex questions, like “What’s the temperature like today?” or “What’s the best Chinese restaurant near me?”.
Another example is visual search, where users can search using an image instead of text. This technology is especially useful for product searches, as users can upload an image of an item they are interested in and get information about similar products, prices, and where to buy them.
Also Read: Bard.AI: Google’s answer to OpenAI’s ChatGPT
The All New Bing and Edge – A co-pilot for the web
Microsoft also announced that they’ve brought together search, browsing and chat into one unified experience and we can invoke from anywhere on the web, delivering:
- New Microsoft Edge experience: Along with Bing and AI powered ChatGPT, Microsoft updated the Edge browser with new AI capabilities and a new look, and have added two new major and useful functionalities:
- Chat and Compose: With the Edge Sidebar, you can ask for a summary of a lengthy financial report to get the key takeaway.
- Comparison and Formatting: Use the chat function to ask for a comparison to a competing company’s financials and automatically put it in a table. You can also ask Edge to help you compose content, such as a LinkedIn post, by giving it a few prompts to get you started. Again, you can ask it to help you update the tone, format the length of the post. With AI, Edge can understand the web page you’re on and adapts accordingly.
- Microsoft’s Next-generation OpenAI model: Microsoft stated that they are excited to announce the new Bing is running on a new, next-generation OpenAI large language model that is more powerful than ChatGPT and customized specifically for search. It takes key learnings and advancements from ChatGPT and GPT-3.5 and, it is even faster, more accurate and more capable.
- Prometheus model from Microsoft: In order to fully utilize the capabilities of the OpenAI model, we have created a proprietary workflow. The Prometheus model is the name we give to this set of talents and methods. With this combination, you receive results that are safer while also being more pertinent, timely, and focused.
- Adding AI to the fundamental search algorithm: The AI model was also deployed to Microsoft’s primary Bing search ranking engine, which produced the biggest increase in relevance in 20 years. Even simple search queries are more relevant and accurate with their AI model.
- A fresh and New user interface: By combining search, browsing, and conversation into one seamless experience, they’re redefining how you engage with these tools. This will open up a whole new kind of web interaction.
What could be possible benefits of ChatGPT integrated with Bing Search engine, and Microsoft Edge Browser?
As a language model AI, the following benefits of integrating ChatGPT with Bing Search engine and Edge browser:
- Enhanced User Experience: With ChatGPT integrated into Bing, users can access information and search results faster and more efficiently through natural language conversations, rather than traditional keyword searches.
- Personalized Search Results: ChatGPT can understand the context of a user’s query and provide more relevant and personalized search results.
- Improved Accuracy: ChatGPT’s natural language processing capabilities can help reduce the chances of incorrect search results, resulting in improved accuracy for users.
- Automated Customer Support: Integrating ChatGPT into the Edge browser can provide users with quick and efficient customer support. ChatGPT can help answer common questions and provide step-by-step guidance for resolving issues.
- Increased Engagement: By enabling users to interact with Bing through natural language conversations, ChatGPT can increase engagement and provide a more immersive experience.
- Increased User Satisfaction: With improved accuracy, personalized results, and faster support, users are more likely to be satisfied with their search and browsing experience.
Overall, the integration of ChatGPT with Bing and Edge browser can provide users with a more efficient, accurate, and engaging experience while improving the overall quality of search results and customer support.
In conclusion, the future of search is becoming more and more personalized, context-based, and visual. AI and machine learning are helping search engines to evolve from just being a tool for finding websites to a more comprehensive solution for answering complex questions and providing relevant information.